Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Snowskin Mooncakes






This is a little late but Happy Mid Autumn Festival! =) The past weeks have been busy busy busy but then I just couldn't give up the opportunity of making mooncakes. I was thrilled when an old friend decided to join me in my mooncake making adventure this year. I've made snowskin mooncakes before but they always end up dry and tough. So I did much reading up and came across this gorgeous blog with very good recipes and tips. The mooncakes are so lovely, I knew I had to try it. With a friend joining me, I just had to get the best ingredients...I wanted her 1st mooncake making experience to be a good one. So for the first time, I trotted down to Kwong Cheong Thye in Aljunied and I have to say, it's mooncake ingredients heaven. There were so many variety of pastes, I had such a hard time deciding what I wanted. A few of the flavours that I can remember include durian, blueberry, cranberry, red wine, black sugar sesame, green tea, milk tea and pomelo (there are simply too many & I can't remember the rest). The fantastic part is that they also had low sugar versions of these paste as well. Needless to say, I got the low sugar versions that were available. Together with the pastes and snowskin premix, I lugged home at least 5kg worth of ingredients, but it was all very worth it! The snowskin was smooth, soft & supple.  Paired together with the low sugar pastes, it was really really good and not overly sweet. Family & friends were impressed and Hubby absolutely loves it. He gobbles a couple every time he opens the fridge. =)

This is Anncoo's recipe, for my own reference:

Ingredients:
- 45g ordinary kao fen
- 225g KWT snowskin premix 
- 60g icing sugar
- 45g shortening
- 300g pandan water (boil a few blades of pandan leaves with water) 


Method:
- combine kao fen and snowskin premix in a large bowl and set aside.
- in a pot, mix 300g pandan water with icing sugar and shortening, bring them to boil until shortening has melted, stir well.
- pour the hot liquid mixture to the flour and use spatula to stir mixture into soft dough 
- leave dough to cool then knead till smooth.
- measure dough to 22g and wrap 25g paste. (I reduced my dough to 15g to wrap 25g as I was using mini mould & we liked thin skin)
- roll it into a ball and dust with some cooked glutinous rice flour
- press firmly into mould then unmould and store in airtight container.
- chill snowskin mooncake before serving.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment