Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mini Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts


The past week was terrible for me. Bad news tumbling in one after another. I am still learning to deal with it and am still a little down. In all, I guess bad things only serves to remind me not to take things for granted and it's in times like this I am ever so grateful to my hubby & my sweet darling Fat cheeks for being there for me. To distract myself, I decided to make something that has long been on my "to-make" list...doughnuts! I love doughnuts especially the old school kind that is covered with sugar. This recipe is from a doughnut cookbook which I bought at an Expo sale. I was very pleased with how the doughnuts turned out. They are light, fluffy and very soft. The only problem is that the quantity shown in the cookbook makes huge batches of doughnuts. So I halved the recipe amount and even then I still had a lot of doughnut dough. So I divided the dough into 2 and kept the other half in the fridge so that I can make a 2nd batch the next day. For the 1st batch, I made cinnamon sugar doughnut. The 2nd batch, I made doughnuts with chocolate and caramel glaze. All very yummy. Fat cheeks was hovering at my side the whole time coz she just couldn't wait to get her hands on the doughnuts. =) 





Ingredients:
- 175g bread flour
- 75g cake four
- 5g instant yeast
- 40g castor sugar
-15g milk powder
- 30g egg (1 very small egg)
- 125g cold water
- 50g butter
Pinch of salt


Cinnamon Sugar:
- 5g cinnamon powder
- 40g castor sugar


Method:
(I highly recommend to using cake mixer machine with the dough hook to mix. It is difficult to mix by hand because this is a very sticky dough)
- Mix all ingredients except butter in a big bowl for 5 mins
- Add butter and mix further for 10-15 mins till dough becomes smooth & elastic.
- Cover bowl with clingwrap & let the dough rise for 30-40 mins till double in size.
- Once dough has risen, punch out the air bubbles and roll out dough till 1-1.5cm thickness
- Cut out doughnut with mould and transfer to a floured tray ( I simply used a round and a heart shaped cookie cutter)
- Leave doughnut for about 30mins to rise further
- Heat up oil (to test I placed the tips of my wooden chopsticks into oil, if it starts to bubble, it's ready)
- Fry doughnut till golden brown on both sides, dish out & drain.
- For sugar coated doughnuts, roll doughnuts in sugar while warm. This will help the sugar stick adhere.


2 comments:

  1. Jen, take care! (: hopefully things will eventually gets better (: and the doughnuts looks yummmmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jas, U're so sweet! =)

      Delete