Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes


I was a nervous wreck last week coz my precious darling left for her school camp. It was only a 3 days 2 night camp but it felt like an eternity to me. Kids nowadays are so blessed, at my time who would have heard of K2 kids going for camps? If I remember correctly, I only participated in camps when I was in my teens. As anxious as I was, I do support such activities as it gives Fat cheeks the opportunity to be independent, to have her own space and also to acquire some life skills. I know she will do well in the camp coz she is very different from me. She  is chatterbox, outspoken, very sociable, very active & participative kind of girl. Her teachers adore her. So I knew I had nothing to worry about...but still I found it so hard to let go. I actually burst into tears when she boarded the bus that was taking them to the campsite. I'm such a crybaby! =)

So anyways, to take my mind off worrying I read up a bit on cupcakes and came across this very interesting recipe for chocolate cupcakes. Chocolate cupcakes sounds common enough but this recipe uses vinegar! I was intrigued. Apparently this recipe does not contain baking powder, instead it uses baking soda. The reaction of baking soda and vinegar will result in a very light, fluffy cake. I had all the ingredients needed on hand, so without hesitation I started baking the cupcake. It would be just nice to welcome my baby home. =) 
As promised by the recipe, the cupcake was really light, fluffy & moist! I was not able to detect any hint of vinegar that was added to it. It's not sweet on its own & it went perfectly well with butter cream frosting. This is definitely a recipe to keep.    

Ingredients:
(makes 18 mini cupcakes)

Dry Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt

Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 60g dark chocolate (melt over a pot of hot water  & leave to cool)
- 90ml oil
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup hot water

Method:
- Preheat oven to 180 deg c
- Combine and sift dry ingredients into a big bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg till pale and fluffy
- Add milk, vanilla, oil and vinegar, beat well
- Add melted chocolate and beat to combine well
- Add dry ingredients into the wet batter, mix just to combine
- Add boiling water, mix again to combine
- Spoon batter into cups, fill 3/4 of cup
- Bake for 15-18mins
- Cool completely before frosting



No comments:

Post a Comment