Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happycall Char Siew


I couldn't resist the temptation! I bought myself the Happycall pan a couple months ago. =) It's the double sided pan from Korea that supposedly sold like hot cakes on tv shopping in sg. I saw the advert one day & I have to say, like any aunty, I was quite taken by it. Then that very same weekend, the Sunday Times ran an article on the popularity of the pan, after I read it, I confirm...guarantee with chop...that I wanted that pan! So I joined an online spree & got myself one at a very good price. Happiness =). Thus far, it is as good as it was advertised and I'm very happy with it. I've made the very usual omelettes, fried rice, stir fries and fried fish with it. But today, I am going for one of the Happycall pan reciepes, homemade char siew. So why make your own char siew when you can buy char siew rice downstairs for $3? Well, coz I can choose the cut of meat, coz it's fresh & most of all coz it's fun =). It really is quite effortless, just marinate the pork overnight & cook in the pan next day. The char siew from this recipe is very much Hong Kong style. Hubby likes it much & to my surprise, Fat cheeks who usually does not really eat meat loves it too. She kept pinching the char siew when I was trying to take the pics. I had a hard time keeping her sticky fingers away. =)



Ingredients:
- 300g pork shoulder meat (wu hua rou)
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Rose wine (I couldn't find this in the usual supermarkets but found it from a Chinese medical hall. In this recipe I think this is vital coz it gives the pork a very nice floral after taste. But I did find 1tbsp is a bit overpowering for me. Next time I will reduce it to half or 3/4 tbsp.)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- dash of pepper

Method:
- Heat pan over med low heat till hot
- place meat in pan (make sure meat is at room temperature, not straight out fm fridge)
- cover & lock lid, cook for 3 mins
- open lid & turnover meat, lock lid again & cook for further 3 mins
- open lid & cook with lid down but not locked till sauce starts to caramelise
- turnover meat & repeat step above
- once it has reached your preferred caramelisation/browness, remove & serve warm.
- to make sauce, boil remaining marinate in a small saucepan till thicken.


3 comments:

  1. It looks really good and simple enough to make. I shall try it this weekend together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy your char siew making.=)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen, I've tried the recipe, it's delicious. My only problem was I couldnt get wu hua rou and was lazy to go to the market, so I used pork belly instead. It made the meat tough, but other than that, it was delicious!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete