Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fried Carrot Cake


It's the Easter long weekend and so my cooking adventures began. =) I've made quite a few things and will be sharing my recipe here soon. First up is fried carrot cake. I initially bought radish for another recipe, had left overs and so I decided to make carrot cake. It's not difficult to make and I have to say, homemade radish cake definitely scores on taste. Hubby & Fat cheeks really liked it. I used half the portion to make dinner & there was hardly enough to go around coz we all wanted second helpings. =) Here's what I did:

Ingredients for Carrot cake:
(makes an 7inch cake pan)
- 300g radish, grated (I actually had more, about 350g & I used everything)
- 1 small carrot, grated (totally optional, I added it for colour & sweetness)
- 500ml water
- 200g rice flour

Method:
- mix flour with 200ml of water till batter is smooth, set aside
- boil remainding 300ml of water with grated radish, carrot & a pinch of salt for a couple of minutes
- remove radish from heat, add flour mixture, mix well 
- batter will turn thick and sticky
- pour batter into oiled cake tin & steam for half an hour
- leave to cool before removing from cake tin

Ingredients for Fried carrot cake:
- half portion of carrot cake from above, cut into bite size pieces
- 2-3tbs preserved radish  (adjust to your own preference)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp black sweet sauce (I used Tai Hua brand. Note sweet sauce is not dark soy sauce. I used to think they were the same thing.) 
- chopped spring onion

Method:
- rinse preserved radish well, squeeze out water & set aside
- heat about 2 tbsp of oil in work, stir fry preserved radish over medium low heat till fragrant
- add minced garlic, stir fry till you can smell the garlic fragrance
- increase heat to medium high & add carrot cake, stir fry well
- add egg & cook till egg is almost set
- add sweet sauce & stir fry till carrot cake coated with sweet sauce
- dish up, garnish with spring onion & serve warm


4 comments:

  1. Wow! There's no stopping you! I would never try making my own carrot cake especially if I live in SG! Ok, yeah I AM very lazy to cook and hate to be in the kitchen... Your family is lucky to have you and mine.... hahahahaha! tough luck for them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, I'm not sure my love for cooking is entirely a good thing. Hubby blames me for his expanding waistline & I can never go on a diet! ^^

      Delete
  2. Hi Evelyn, thank you for dropping by. Hope you have fun trying the recipe. =)

    ReplyDelete