Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream with Maraschino Cherries and Oreo Biscuits

Last week hubby & I celebrated our 11th year anniversary. Times files, 11 years of wedded bliss in just an blink of an eye. =) Instead of the usual gifts of jewelry, watches and handbags he got me a ice cream maker! I cannot tell you how happy & excited I was. I just love my cooking toys like men love their gadgets I suppose. I've made ice cream without the ice cream maker before; It takes quite a bit of time and it's less smooth. Now with my new toy not only I can make ice cream like a professional, I can also try making frozen yoghurt, granitas and sorberts! I can try all sorts of flavor and add whatever we fancy! This time I made chocolate ice cream with maraschino cherries and oreo biscuits...all of our favorite things. Fat cheeks loved it so much, we fought for the last spoonful in the tub. =)


Ingredients:
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g castor sugar
- 300ml milk ( I used low fat milk)
- 300ml double cream
- half cup of dark chocolate buttons
- maraschino cherries & oreo biscuits chopped up

Method:
- beat egg yolk & sugar with hand whisk in a heat proof bowl
- bring milk to boil, then pour bit by bit into egg yolk mixture while whisking constantly
- return milk & egg mixture into pot and stir constantly till mixtures thickens and can coat the back of the spoon when spoon is dipped into mixture
- remove from heat & let it cool a little
- add chocolate buttons while mixture is still warm & stir till all buttons are melted
- leave to cool & chill in fridge
- when chilled, add double cream & pour into ice cream maker & allow to freeze until desired consistency
* if making without an ice cream maker, whip double cream till soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into chilled mixture. Pour into container and freeze in freezer. Bring container out every 3-4hrs to break up ice crystals with a fork. Repeat 3-4 times till you get smooth consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment