Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sugee Almond Cookies

Chinese New Year is coming! Time to start baking goodies! To start off, I've decided to make one of hubby's favorite; Sugee Cookies. Sugee cookies are unbelievably easy to make with simple ingredients. While I was looking through the recipes on the net, I realise that there are many variations now. I remember the 1st time I made Sugee biscuit many eons ago back when I was a teenager, the main ingredients in my recipe where ghee and semolina flour. Now in many recipes, ghee is replace by canola oil or butter  and semolina flour is completely replaced by plain flour. It probably gives a more "melt in the mouth" texture but being the traditional gal that I am, I've decided to stick to my old school recipe. The cookies are really fragrant and light. Fat cheeks loves it much. As for Hubby? Well he's happy napping away now. Will see how he rate my cookies later. =)

Ingredients:
(I managed to get about 60 small biscuits)
- 120g ghee
- 100gm plain flour
- 100gm semolina flour
- 50gm ground almond
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 85gm icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt

Method:
- melt ghee over low fire, set aside to cool
- add vanilla to cooled ghee
- sift all flours, bicarbonate of soda, icing sugar and salt into a big bowl
- pour ghee mixture into flour
- mix and knead to form a dough
- preheat oven to 180deg c
- roll dough into small balls
- bake 25-30minutes
 - cool and store

2 comments:

  1. looks very crunchy! beautiful too! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your compliment J3ss. The cookies are indeed crunchy =). Your vanilla bean sugi cookies looks really scrumptious. Must get my hands on some vanilla beans to try it!

    ReplyDelete