Last week, Fat Cheeks and myself attended a baking workshop for mummy & child at the Community Centre. We made cupcakes with marshmallow fondant. Everything was made from scratch and we had a really fun time. A while ago, I tried doing marshmallow fondant myself. It was so sticky, gooey & messy I gave up. This time round, I've finally learnt the right technique to do it and I have say, it does take a lot of patience and hard work but you will be rewarded with soft pliable play dough. Still it was not easy doing the figurines. The ones I made were ok and I like my snowman best. =)
Here's the marshmallow fondant recipe:
Shortening - 15g
Marshmallow - 100g
Icing sugar, sifted - 200g
Water - 8g
- Grease a stainless steel bowl with a thin layer of shortening.
- Put marshmellow into bowl, let it melt over a pot of shimmering water, sprinkle water (8g) occasionally.
- Pour melted marshmellow on a greased tabletop, then slowly knead icing sugar into marshmellow over 4-5 times, until it becomes smooth (not sticking to fingers) and pliable.
- Add desired colouring, if fondant becomes sticky, add a little icing sugar.
- Cling wrap and keep in container until ready to use.