Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Crispy Spiral White Bean Mooncake

This is my very 1st attempt at making Crispy Spiral Mooncake. I love these and never fail to get them every year. I didn't have very high expectations when I decided to make them. I knew it was difficult to make but I just wanted to try it anyway even if it was going to be ugly =p. I tried not to fret too much and actually enjoyed experimenting with the pastry. The white bean paste was really nice. It tasted much like yam paste which I love. All in all, I'm quite pleased with it. Not very pretty but the pastry was very crispy and fragrant, the bean paste soft & yummy.

Makes 12pcs.

White Bean Paste:
- 300gm black eyed beans
- 200g castor sugar
- 100gm cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp alkaline water

Method:
- soak beans with water & alkaline water overnight
- wash well
- cover beans in water & cook till soft
- blend beans with just enough water till it becomes a fine paste
- add paste & sugar into wok and cook till slightly dry then add in oil, mix well
- cook till paste is quite dry and comes away from the wok

Pastry:
Water dough
- 200g plain flour
- 50g cooking oil
- 100ml water

Oil dough
- 150gm plain flour
- 75gm shortening

Method:
- water dough: rub flour & oil, gradually add water & knead into dough. rest for 15mins
- oil dough: mix all ingredients & rest for 15 mins as well
- divide both doughs into 12 pcs
- take water dough & wrap oil dough
- flatten & roll out to resemble a long stick
- roll up like swissroll, turn dough facing up (round shape up)
- flatten & wrap filling
- fry till golden brown


No comments:

Post a Comment