Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sugar Cookies


Fat cheeks celebrated Teacher's Day at school today. She wanted to give her teachers presents and was so disappointed when she found out that I forgot to help her get any. To make up, I thought I'll bake her teachers some cookies. These decorated cookies have been on my waiting list ever since time in memorial. So I quickly prepared all the ingredients and started creaming away. The dough was done relatively quickly, it was then chucked it into the fridge to chill. In the mean time, I prepared the royal icing for decoration. The dough was suppose rest and set in the fridge for an hour to 2 but being pressed for time, I thought I'll try cutting them anyway. BIG mistake. I only managed to cut about 3 pieces before it started to melt & fall apart. I kept trying & it went from sticky dough to gooey mess. I was so frustrated that I almost threw everything away. Fed up, I threw everything back into the fridge and went on to make cards with Fat Cheeks. Fortunately by the time the cards were completed, the dough firmed up nicely and I was able to cut them finally. It also helped that I've divided the dough into 3 parts, leaving the unused parts in the fridge & only taking it out just before cutting them. By the time I was done with baking, cooling & decorating, it was 1am. ZZZzzzz. So what have I learnt? Planning & patience!! But after all said and done, I have to say the cookies were crispy, butter and delicious. I had tremendous fun decorating the cookies. They weren't as pretty as I had hoped for but they were ok. Lots more practice needed! =)

Ingredients:
- 1.5cups flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 115g butter
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
- preheat oven to 180 deg c
- mix flour and baking soda
- beat sugar and butter till light & fluffy
- add eggs and vanilla essence
- beat in flour till soft dough is formed
- wrap in cling wrap and chill in fridge for an hour or 2 till firm
- cut into desired shapes
- bake 8-10 mins till cookies a lightly browned
- cool completely before decorating or storing

Royal Icing:
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1.5 tbsp meringue powder
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup warm water

Method:
- mix all ingredients in a bowl except water
- add water gradually while whisking mixture till desired consistency is reached
- continue whisking till icing is glossy
- add colour, mix well and decorate

3 comments:

  1. looks so nice & yummy! I always have no patience when comes to chilling the cookie dough... also ended up with messy cuts. then waiting time was the mainly reason why i dun like to make cookie. Me too was busy baking chocolate cupcakes & packing with peaches on mon nite. Will try to update my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya the waiting time very sianz but cutout cookies are so fun leh, especially the decorating part. I can't wait to try another batch! Upload your post soon leh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard work paid off. Well done Jenny.

    This year i'm so so slack... did nothing, bake nothing and give nothing.

    ReplyDelete