Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

French Madeleines


The weekends are here! Hubby was away for a week and is finally making his way home this late afternoon. My darling energetic Fat cheeks will be stuck at home with me for almost a whole day. So before we both go nuts, I decide to distract her a little by doing some baking together. I found this really simple uncomplicated recipe that is just perfect; French Madeleines! No need to cream butter and sugar, no need to whip egg whites; just mix everything together, chill then throw into oven & tadah....yummy madeleines. This is the 2nd time I'm making madeleines. The last recipe uses lemon zest, this one uses orange zest and ground almond. Very buttery, fragrant and a little denser than the last recipe. It also has the signature "hump" that Madeleines are suppose to have. We both love the taste and enjoyed making it very much. Fat cheeks can't wait to show it off to her Daddy. =)

Ingredients:
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 125g butter, melted & cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp of orange essence
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla essence
- pinch of salt

Method:
- mix zest & sugar
- in separate bowl, sift flour and add sugar zest mixture
- beat eggs lightly & add to flour mixture
- add melted butter, salt, almond, orange & vanilla essence
- mix with wooden spoon till well combined
- chill in fridge for an hour
- preheat oven to 200 deg c
- grease moulds
- half fill moulds and bake for 10-15mins till golden

2 comments:

  1. I love Madeleines! but I don't have the proper mould to bake them... I'm gonna sweep so many moulds the next time I'm back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the traditional shell moulds looks prettiest. I only have 8 of those moulds so I used mini cupcake moulds for the rest. Also very cute leh, like mini mountians. =)

    ReplyDelete