Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Brown Butter Chiffon Cake


I love the taste of brown nutty flavor. Like chocolate, I find it very difficult to resist toffee, butterscotch & caramel flavours. I first came across brown butter while watching a cookery program on tv. It fascinated me & so I googled it to look for more recipes. I found cookies, pound cake and ice cream recipes. How interesting! They are all on my "to make list" for sure. However for today I'm craving for chiffon cake (after spying a very yummy looking coconut chiffon cake from friend's photo). This recipe is adapted from my previous post, Gula Melaka Chiffon cake. Glad it turned out not bad. It's very light, moist with a fragrant nutty after taste. It was well received by hubby & fat cheeks. =)

Brown Butter:
- butter 100g
- heat butter in heavy skillet over medium heat until milk solids on bottom are dark brown
- transfer to shallow bowl, allow to cool

Ingredients:
(I used my 21cm tube pan)
- 4 eggs yolks
- 2tbsp corn oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 95g cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 100g brown butter (from above)
- 60g milk

- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 60g brown sugar

Method:
- preheat oven to 175 deg c
- sift flour, salt & baking powder
- mix egg yolks, corn oil, brown butter, milk & flour till well combined
- in separate bowl, whisk egg whites & cream of tartar till foamy
- add brown sugar gradually & whisk till stiff peaks are formed
- fold egg whites into batter in 3 stages
- pour into tin and bake for 40-45mins
- invert cake pan & allow to cool

No comments:

Post a Comment