Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Handmade Vanilla Ice Cream

I'm proud to present my very 1st handmade ice cream! I've been longing to make ice cream for ages but didn't think I could have done it without an ice cream maker till I came across this recipe book "Making Ice Cream & Iced Desserts". I actually bought this book some time ago during a book sale but didn't do any serious reading till recently. Only then I discovered the recipes actually gave instructions for making ice cream by hand as well. So eagerly I tried the most basic recipe today. The recipe uses vanilla pods which I'm sure will give the ice cream a superior taste. I didn't have any so I used pure vanilla essence. It still tasted great
. I served my 1st scoop to hubby with a drizzle of caramel sauce & a small heart shaped sponge cake. A prelude to tomorrow's surprise! =)

Ingredients:
- 1 vanilla pod
- 300ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 300ml whipping cream

Method:
- slit vanilla pod into half, lengthways
- pour milk into pot, add vanilla pod & bring to a boil
- remove fm heat & allow pod to sit in milk for 15 mins
- scrape vanilla seeds into milk, set pod aside & bring milk to a boil again
- whisk egg yolks till thick & foamy
- pour milk into eggs, whisking constantly
- return mixture into pan, cook over low heat, stirring all the time
- when custard thickens & is smooth, allow to cool & chill
- whip cream until thicken
- fold into custard & pour into freezeproof container
- freeze for at least 6 hours or till firm enough to scope
- in between the 6 hours, beat ice cream with a fork to break up ice crystals at least twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment