Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Custard Puffs

The weekends are here and I'm so eager to start baking! This time I've decided to try my hand at custard puffs. This is the 1st time I've made choux pastry and I have to say I'm pleased with the results. They puffed up nicely and are light & airy. The custard is also good; rich and velvety. Hubby likes it much. I'm still waiting for my precious Fat Cheeks to wake up from her nap to try the puffs & give me her verdict. I'm already thinking of cream cheese filling for my next batch of puffs. =)

Custard Cream:

Ingredients
- 150ml of milk
- 150ml of double cream
- 1tsp of vanilla essence
- 4 egg yolks
- 45g sugar
- 25g flour
- a big dollop of butter

Method:
- beat egg, sugar & flour till well combined
- bring milk & cream to a boil
- remove from heat
- slowly pour milk into egg mixture, whisking the mixture all the time
- return to low heat stirring till it thickens,
- add vanilla essence and butter, mix well & leave to cool


Choux Pastry:

Ingredients
- 50g flour
- 50g unsalted butter
- 150ml water
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- icing sugar for dusting

Method:
- preheat oven to 200 deg c, line tray with baking sheet
- combine water & butter and bring to a boil in saucepan
- turn to low heat, shift in flour
- mix well with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball that comes away from the sides of the pan
- turn off heat, gradually beat in eggs till smooth & glossy
- add vanilla extract
- pipe batter on to baking sheet, spaced well apart
- bake for 25mins or until well risen & golden
- make a slit in the middle & return to oven to dry out for another 3 mins
- remove & cool on wire rack
- when cool, fill with custard & dust with icing sugar

2 comments: