Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mee Soto


After the success of Mee Rebus, I've decided to try another of my fave malay dish Mee Soto. It was surprisingly easy. Just grind up ingredients, throw them into the pot with chicken & tadah...Mee Soto! Once again the recipe is from Zarina's Easy Home Cooking. I love that cookbook. Very authentic, very delicious.

Ingredients:
(enough to serve 3-4)
- 1 chicken
- 6 cups of water
- salt to taste
- 600g fresh noodles
- 300g bean sprouts

* To grind into paste:
- 1.5 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 thick slice lengkuas
- 4 candlenuts
- 8-10 shallots
- 1 tsp white peppercorns

** For garnishing:
- spring onion & local celery, chopped finely
- potato cutlets (I was lazy, I simply added cubed potato into the soup & let it cook till soft)
- shredded chicken

*** Chilli Padi sauce
- 1/4 birds eye chilli
- wash, remove stalks, grind fine & add dark soya sauce over it

Method:
- Put whole chicken, ground paste, water & salt in a large pot
- when boiling, remove chicken & keep stock
- put chicken on tray & roast for 20mins at 190 deg c, untill light brown
- shred chicken when cool
- to serve, blanch noodles & bean sprouts in hot water, place in a bowl
- sprinkle shredded chicken & garnish then add soup
- serve hot

Note:
- I didn't roast my chicken, I simply left my chicken in the stock let it simmer for half an hour
- then I took out chicken to let it cool before shredding it
- after shredding, I returned the chicken bones to the stock & let it con't to cook in my thermal cooker.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment