Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Mee Siam

I had craving for mee siam today...must eat mee siam! There are no hawker selling mee siam near my place so I have to make my own. I went to the supermaket & found this ready made spice. Looks easy, so I decided to try it out. Turns out it's really not bad, quite yummy infact. Hubby polished off 2 big plates. =)
Here's what I did:

Ingredients as per packaging:
- 1 packet of mee siam spice
- 250g vermicelli (I used brown rice vermicelli) soak in water till soft
- 100g tamarind mixed with 300ml of water & strained
- 100g sugar (I used one big lump of rock sugar)
- 700ml water
- handful each of chives & beansprouts

Optional (Ingredients I added on my own)
- handful of dried shrimps (washed & soaked in water for a couple of hours then drain)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4-5 bulbs of shallots, sliced thinly
- cooked fishcakes, sliced
- hardboiled egg, cut into wedges

Method:
- in wok, heat 2 tbsp of oil, fry soaked dried shrimps over small fire till fragrant
- add shallots, let them brown a little then add garlic
- add whole packet of spice & fry over low fire
- once spice is fragrant, spoon out half of spice into bowl for later use in gravy
- add vermicelli, beansprouts & chives into wok
- if too dry, add a few tbsp of water & stir well
- keep vermicelli warm
- in another pot, boil 700ml of water
- add the spice, tamarind water & rock sugar
- bring to boil, mix well
- to serve, place vermicelli onto plate, pour gravy over, garnish with fishcakes & hard boiled eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment