Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Caramel Popcorn


I had no idea popping popcorns is so easy! I love popcorns & never miss the opportunity to munch on them whenever I go to the movies. Silly me actually tought popcorns can only be made by popcorn machines. At one point I contemplated buying a mini one which cost about $80, no kidding! Thank goodness I didn't get it in the end coz I didn't think it's worth the while since it can only pop popcorns. Then a few days ago while surfing the net, I accidentaly came across this recipe. I tired it almost immediately. The homemade popcorns was really delicious and additive. The caramel coating is very fragrant and not too sweet or coying. I already made 2 batches of this & both batches didn't last 24 hrs. Fat cheeks was exhilarated to find the tubs of popcorn. She like me cannot resist popcorns. Got to go, fat cheeks & me got lots of munching to do. =)

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup dried corn kernels
(can be easily found in the dried goods section)
- 110g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1) Popping popcorns:
- coat wok or pan with thin layer of oil
- heat pan till hot, add corn kernels & cover pan
(note: if you have a med size pan, divide corn kernels into 2 batches & pop twice)
- move pan to & fro constantly over fire as corn kernels start to pop
- off fire when popping stops but leave lid on for a couple more seconds
- when aIl popping stops, remove lid & transfer popcorns to a big deep oven tray
(I lined my tray with aluminin foil & coated it with a thin layer of oil. I tot of this so tat I didn't have to wash a sticky tray later. Just peel off foil & dump)

2) Caramel coating:
- preheat oven to 200deg c
- combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, water & a pinch of salt in a saucepan
- heat gently till sugar is dissolved
- bring to a boil & let it boil for a couple of minutes while stirring at the same time
- then add baking soda & vanilla essence, stir well
- remove from heat & drizzle sauce over popcorns (soak saucepan immediately with water for easy wash)
- stir popcorns gently to coat evenly
- bake popcorn in oven for approximately 10mins, stir twice inbetween (watch popcorns closely as they burn easily at this stage)
- once they turn golden brown, remove from oven & cool
- store cooled popcorns in air tight containers

No comments:

Post a Comment