Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Snowskin Mooncake

Yay, with my lotus paste done I can finally get to the fun part! Mooncakes! I bought 2 moulds, a wooden one with 4 mini "eyes" and a plastic one with one big & small "eye". I actually prefer the wooden one, its design seemed more intricate and I like the mini size. Anyways, I'll start with the most basic snowskin mooncake. Making the mooncake was really fun and not as easy as it looks. Experts just knock once or twice & the mooncake pops out. For me I had to knock till it sounds like a construction site before the mooncakes come out. Even then, I have lots of casualties...quite a few of the mooncakes were not caught in time & then the poor things splat on to the table. =P

Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
(I get 16 mini ones)
- 150gm kou fen
- 200g icing sugar
- 160gm cold water
- 1/2tsp banana essence
- 50g shortening
- few drops of colour

Method:
- mix kou fen, icing sugar, shortening into bowl
- in seperate bowl, add essence & colour into water
- add water mixture to flour till get soft dough
(don't have to use all the water, mix in bit by bit till get a soft dough)
- rest dough for 30mins before use
- note not to over work the dough as it can cause the dough to get tough
.

Not exactly very pretty but it's a great accomplishment for me. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment