Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Angle Hair Pasta with Prawns & Tomato

I've been trying to diet lately, mainly trying to reduce my carbo intake. Ok, keyword here is "trying". Obviously, I've not been very successful. The harder I try, the more I crave for Carbo! Pizza, fries, chips...how can anyone live without them?! Sigh. Fat cheeks is almost 3 years old and I'm still carrying the pregnancy flab with me. Not that I was very slim to begin with so I thought what the heck right? Just eat and be happy. =) It's gonna be pasta weekend!! Kekeke...

Ingredients:
- Angel hair pasta (I used half a pack)
- 6 skinned tomatoes cubed (to skin them, score "X" on the bottom of the tomato, drop them into hot water for a few seconds. Fish them out and drop into cold water. Just peel skin at the where u score them. The skin will come off easily. Can subsitute with canned tomatoes too.)
- 1 box of brown breech mushroom (can get them easily at NTUC, they come in brown or white)
- 200g of shelled prawns (save shell for stock), marinate with a few dash of fish sauce & pepper
- 1 pack of fish cake, sliced into bite size pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 med white onion, diced
- 1 leek, white part only & diced (optional, but it makes the dish sweeter)
- Grated parmesan cheese and chilli flakes

Method:
1) boil prawn shells with half cup of water till water reduces to half, reserve stock
2) cook pasta (my method)
- boil water and add salt
- add pasta and wait for water to return to boil for 2-3 mins
- turn off heat & cover (at this point, I leave the pasta to soak & prepare my main ingredents. The timing was just right)
3) In wok:
- add a little oil to hot wok & brown fishcake
- remove to use later
- add more oil if needed, brown onion & leek
- add prawns & stir fry till pink, using chopstick, remove prawns so that they dun over cook
- add mushrooms and stir fry for 2-3 mins
- add tomatoes, garlic and return prawns & fishcake, stirfry for a few seconds
- drain pasta, add to ingredients in wok
- add prawn stock & mix gently (the pasta will soak up the stock)
- season with fishsauce, salt & pepper to taste (quite a bit of fishsauce/salt is added as the pasta is bland)
- to serve, sprinkle parmasan cheese (this makes a difference!) and chilli flakes if you like

Hubby gave me 2 thumbs up for this pasta although he's not a prawn lover. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment